History of the AEC
Established in the spring of 2019, The Arlington Energy Committee is a group of dedicated residents working to fulfill the following:
The mission of the Arlington Town Energy Committee is to assist Arlington residents, businesses, schools and Town government in reducing energy consumption and costs through conservation, increased energy efficiency, conversion to renewable energy sources, and the promotion of energy education and awareness. The committee will assist the Town (Energy Coordinator) in planning and carrying out projects to advance these goals and will serve as a resource to the town on energy-related issues.
While the select board appoints a core group of 7 members, all are welcome to participate. We are involved with many projects that include doing research; analyzing data; making recommendations on the most cost-effective green investments; attending and reporting back on energy conferences; providing resources; conducting educational outreach; making videos to highlight local energy efficiency efforts and tips, as well as ways to sequester carbon; helping with weatherization projects such as the annual WindowDressers Community Build; and more! If you are interested in joining us, please call committee chair Stephanie (802) 681-5151 or the town energy coordinator/administrator Nick (802) 379-9916
Arlington Energy Goals and Policies, as stated in the Town Plan:
- Reduce dependence on non-renewable and imported energy sources;
- Promote energy conservation and efficiency in residential, commercial, and industrial structures and operations;.
- Reduce energy consumption in all taxpayer-funded buildings and operations; and
- Develop sustainable, local renewable energy resources
- Available at: XIV Energy section in the Arlington Town Plan; pp. 84-104: Arlington Town Plan, section on Energy, pp84-104
- See also: Town Report 2021, p. 65: AEC report in Town Report 2021, p. 65and Town Report 2022, p. 66: AEC report in Town Report 2022, p. 66
Quick Links to Helpful Resources:
- Link to BCRC’s “Vermont Energy Programs and Resources at a Glance” This page lists all sorts of energy-saving resources, describes each one, and provides contact info. and links: BCRC Resources and Information page
- Dorset’s Energy Efficiency page Great list of area weatherization experts, among other helpful resources and tips
- What Can I Do Right Now? Get Bill Christian’s simple steps and link to Efficiency VT’s quick steps
- Buyer’s Guide to Driving Electric:
Need some Hope and Inspiration? Take a look:
Useful information from the Rocky Mountain Institute packed with details on projects in place now that are transforming and accelerating clean energy development around the world
Stephanie Moffett Hynds, email@example.com
For energy efficiency inquiries contact Nick Zaiac, Energy Coordinator, at 802-379-9916.