The Draft 2021 Batten Kill, Hoosic, and Walloomsac Tactical Basin Plan has been released for public comment.
A summary of the draft plan is available in this Story Map.
The public is also invited to attend one of two public meetings offered on June 24 and July 8 to provide feedback on the plan.
- · June 24 –Virtual meeting, 5:30-7:00 pm. (Click here to join the meeting)
- July 8 –Virtual (with in-person option) meeting, 3:00-4:30 pm. (Click here to join the meeting)
- In-person option at the Arlington Town Hall located at 3828 VT Route 7A, Arlington, VT
The Basin Plan encompasses portions of 16 towns in Southwestern Vermont, including Arlington, Bennington, Dorset, Glastenbury, Manchester, Peru, Pownal, Readsboro, Rupert, Sandgate, Shaftsbury, Stamford, Stratton, Sunderland, Winhall, and Woodford. The plan contains three key elements:
- A health assessment of the rivers, lakes, and wetlands within the Batten Kill, Hoosic River, and Walloomsac River watersheds.
- 39 strategies to improve water quality, including methods to decrease runoff from farms and roads, protect and restore water bodies, and limit overflows from wastewater treatment facilities.
- Tips for landowners, watershed organizations, and towns interested in receiving funding and technical assistance to help protect and restore water resources.
Comments should be directed by email: ANR.Basin1Comments@vermont.gov or by mail to Angie Allen, Basin 1 Comments, 430 Asa Bloomer State Office Bldg., 88 Merchants Row, Rutland, VT, 05701-5903. Comments should be postmarked or submitted via email by 4:30pm on July 22nd, 2021. Comments received by this date will be addressed in a responsiveness summary.
James D Sullivan
Bennington County Regional Commission
210 South Street – Bennington, VT 05201