JOB DESCRIPTION: TOWN ADMINSTRATOR
TOWN OF ARLINGTON, VERMONT
The Town Administrator will work as an agent of the Select Board, to carry out many of the Select
Board’s high-level administrative functions in order to implement the programs, policies, and
procedures adopted, and/or directed by the Select Board.
The Town Administrator position is full-time. The position requires attendance
at evening Select Board meetings, twice per month. Compensation for this position shall be
determined by the Select Board at a rate commensurate with experience.
- A degree in public administration or business management and/or equivalent experience in
municipal government, business management, or non-profit administration.
- Grant-writing experience with a track-record of successful grant applications.
- Organization skills, and the ability to plan for and manage multiple tasks and deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with the Select Board, other Town departments,
governmental agencies, the public, and the press.
- Ability to understand and ensure compliance with municipal, state, and federal laws,
regulations, and requirements.
- Fluency in Microsoft Office Suite, accounting platforms, and other common business
- Assess on an ongoing basis the Town’s needs and communicate findings to the Select Board.
- Prepare bi-monthly financial report, review for efficiency, and report to the Select Board.
- Carry out the imperatives of the Select Board, as directed by the Board.
- Attend Select Board meetings, and other meetings as appropriate.
- Ensure compliance with public meeting laws.
- Oversee administrative support for the Select Board, at the Select Board’s direction.
- Coordinating Town projects, working closely with all departments and employees, as
directed by the Select Board.
- Act as the liaison to the Town Attorney, law enforcement agencies, and other regional and
- Coordinate and track the training of Town employees. Maintain personnel files, including
tracking personnel hire dates and scheduling performance reviews.
- Prepare, distribute, and publish Requests for Proposals (RFPs) and manage incoming bids.
- Prepare and publish employment opportunity notices at the direction of the Select Board.
- Oversee management of the Town’s website to ensure it is up-to-date and complies with law
and municipal best practices.
- Research and identify grant opportunities for all Town departments and write and manage
grant applications as directed by the Select Board.
- Ensure that two-way reconciliation occurs with all financial accounts.
- Coordinate between all departments to assist with the development of annual budgets.
- Supervise and coordinate maintenance of town-owned facilities.
- Review Town bylaws, ordinances, policies, and procedures, for completeness, consistency
with best practices, and compliance with applicable laws and regulations. Maintain and
periodically review for continued compliance and propose updates as necessary.
- Assist the Select Board in economic development, community relations, and recreation.
- Coordinate community events.
- Respond to emergency management incidents and critical events.
- Other duties assigned by the Select Board.